How do you fancy an hourly wage of $7? Is $5 more to your liking?
It’s surprising how many people who outsource expect freelance writers to work at those rates and how many freelancers meet their expectations.
I am a freelance writer and I have never been on the other side of a contract, but I can safely assume that most clients who hire $5/hour freelance writers would be an unhappy and harried lot.
My assumption is based on several posts I have read online, most notably Corey Geer’s example of the content he received from one of the $5/hour freelance writers.
If you are looking for freelance writers who write content that you are proud to display in conjunction with your name, business or brand, then you should be ready to pay them what they are worth. This post will attempt to prove why good writing is worth its word count in gold.
Good Writing is Hard Work
Often, outsourcers who haven’t done a lot of writing assume that all you’ve got to do is clickety-clack-clack-clack and a 500 word article is done and good to go online. On the contrary, good writing is hard work. It takes tremendous amount of skill, research and effort to create a good, high quality piece of content.
A conscientious writer would need anywhere between one to five hours to write 500 words that people will read and share, depending on her familiarity with the topic and the amount of research required. $5 anyone?
Freelance Writing Does Not Equal Flawless Writing
The first copy of any content is never perfect. Never. Good writers always put the content they write to the one-night test – write, proofread, sleep overnight, get up, proofread, edit, proofread and submit. In several instances the edit round may involve significant revisions and stretch the time required further. Moreover, this is before the content is sent to the client.
Contrast with $5/article or hour freelance writers, who can only afford to ‘write and submit’ if they wish to make hourly minimum wages. What you will receive in this instance is an article with glaring grammatical mistakes and severe readability issues – more work for you.
A freelance writer’s week is far from typical. Different assignments with varied deadlines, interviews with experts scheduled for Sundays, client meetings at 12.30 am because you are based in another time zone are all in a week’s work for a freelance writer. And believe me, most freelancers end up working far more than the typical 40 hours per week and for them Saturdays and Sundays are mythical entities.
There’s More to Freelance Writing than Just Writing
A freelance writer has to invest in his own resources. The laptop, internet connection, research material all cost money. Additionally, the actual writing process might claim about 60% of the freelance writer’s working hours. The remaining 40% (and more) is used for doing ancillary work, such as invoicing, meeting clients, filing taxes and marketing. A typical full-time writer in a firm or media house does not have to do all this. He earns his keep by doing the work he was hired to do.
A freelance writer, on the other hand, has to ensure that his earnings from the 60% writing time are enough to account for the 40% of his time that he spends doing unpaid work and the pays returns on the resources he’s invested in. $5/hour sounds perfect!
Good Writers are Worth So Much More
Lastly, you shouldn’t pay peanuts to good freelance writers because they are simply worth more, so much more. A good writer, as Snoopy puts it, will sometimes search hours for just the right word – a cheap one cannot afford to.
There are several success stories of innumerable conversions from one well-written sales letter, over 50% email open rates from one hard-hitting subject line, an incredible spike in website visitors from one awesome blog post that went viral. Good, well-paid writers make these successes possible.
So what will your next freelance writer earn? $5 sounds swell! Just kidding. For those who are wondering what you should pay, this infographic might help: How Much Should An Online Article Cost?
Share your experiences with outsourcing article writing in the comments below!
All images are PEANUTS ©  Peanuts Worldwide